Tuesday, October 23, 2012

► EGYPT: Midwest set to start scheduled domestic flights in early 2013 with Libya, Saudi Arabia to follow.

Egyptian charter airline Midwest Airlines (MY) is to venture into the domestic Egyptian scheduled flight market with the launch of flights between Cairo and Alexandria effective early January 2013.

Midwest's 737-800 (MIdwest)
One of Midwest's Boeing 737-800 (Midwest)
According to ch-aviation, with the expiration of its ACMI lease of its two Boeing 737-800s to Pakistan's Shaheen Air (NL) due on 30 December 2012, Midwest plans to launch scheduled daily flights from Alexandria to Benghazi (Libya), Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) and Yanbu (Saudi Arabia) and from Cairo to Gassim, Taif, and Yanbu all in Saudi Arabia.

Founded in 1998 with a fleet of two Airbus A310-300s, Midwest Airlines initially offered charter services from Egyptian holiday resorts to Europe and the Middle East on behalf of local and international tour operators. 

After a period of three years, during which it ceased operations, the Lakah family, who held a 79% stake (the other 21% being public stock), sold their shareholding to a business group called REMCO. Midwest subsequently underwent major financial and corporate restructuring with the introduction of  a dry leased Boeing 737-600 (MSN 28303 | SU-MWC) for use on charter flights between Egypt and Europe.